Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘French Prairie’

The South Facade of the Case House

The Marion Dean Ross/Pacific Northwest Chapter is pleased to announce the online version of A Greek Temple in French Prairie:  The William Case House, French Prairie, Oregon, 1858-59, co-authored by Grant Hildebrand and Miriam Sutermeister, and published by the chapter in 2007.

Digitized by the University of Washington Libraries, the e-book can be accessed for free at http://hdl.handle.net/1773/19675

A GREEK TEMPLE chronicles a remarkable settlement-era Classical Revival farmhouse in Oregon’s Willamette Valley. The house was built in 1859 as the headquarters of a busy and productive farming operation founded by William Case. The house is known for its distinctive peripteral colonnade and its red exterior. Hildebrand and Sutermeister were drawn to their project after a first visit to the present occupants and restorers of the house, fellow chapter members Wallace Huntington and Mirza Dickel. Over a period of several years the authors visited the site and conducted research aimed at more completely documenting the character of the farmhouse both in its historic period and as restored and enhanced by gardens.

Read Full Post »